For Internet infrastructure community leaders looking to get involved in the governance of the Internet, critical leadership roles are open for nomination at ICANN and the Internet Society (ISOC).
In 2019, Internet Society Chapters and the IETF will each select one Trustee, and our Organization Members will select two Trustees. Following an orientation program, all new Trustees will begin 3-year terms commencing with the Internet Society Annual General Meeting in July. The Board of Trustees provides strategic direction, inspiration, and oversight to advance the Internet Society’s mission of preserving the open, globally-connected, trustworthy and secure Internet for everyone. The nominations period closes at 15:00 UTC on Friday, 14 December 2018.
ICANN is also looking for nominations to fill the 10th seat on its board of directors, to be filled by somebody from an Address Supporting Organization – basically somebody who operates blocks of IPs within the Internet’s infrastructure. Per the application listing embedded below:
In line with the ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and the ICANN Bylaws, the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) has issued a call for nominations for Seat 10 of the ICANN Board of Directors.
The selected candidate will serve for a three-year term, which will begin at the conclusion of the ICANN Annual General Assembly during the ICANN 66 Meeting, scheduled from 2-7 November 2019 in Montréal, Canada.
All nominated candidates must meet the selection criteria and conflict of interest requirements as outlined in Article 7 of the ICANN Bylaws. The nominated candidates will undergo a due diligence review by an independent ICANN contractor.
Community members are invited to submit nominations by email to nominations [at] aso [dot] icann [dot] org by Friday, 30 November 2018 at 23:59 UTC.
Nominations must include the following information:
- The full name of the person being nominated.
- Contact email address of the person being nominated.
- Contact telephone number (if available) of the person being nominated.
- The full name of the person making the nomination.
- Contact email address for the person making the nomination.
- Contact telephone number of the person making the nomination.
The ICANN Bylaws state that the Directors selected by a Supporting Organization (SO) for its assigned Board seat(s) cannot reside in the same geographic region (see Section 7.2:c). The current ASO AC selection for Seat 9, Ron da Silva, resides in the ARIN region. Therefore, no nominations for Seat 10 can be accepted from candidates residing in the ARIN region.
- Nomination Phase: 15 September 2018 – 30 November 2018
- Comment Phase: 1 December 2018 – 15 January 2019
- ICANN Due Diligence for nominated candidates: 1 – 15 January 2019
- Interview Phase: 1 – 28 February 2019
- Selection Phase (deliberation): 1 February 2019 – 14 March 2019
- Selection Phase (voting): 15 – 21 March 2019
- Announcement of selected candidate: around 22 March 2019
- More information and updated announcements will be added to this page as soon as it becomes available.
- Detailed procedures for election of individuals to the ICANN Board of Directors by the ASO AC can be found in Section 9 of the ASO AC Operating Procedures.
If you have any questions about the elections or the election process, please contact secretariat [at] nro [dot] net.
ICANN and the Internet Society are crucial leaders in the management and success of the Internet internationally. ICANN’s governance of the DNS and ISOC’s advocacy work are more important now than ever before with the Internet at a variety of crossroads on intellectual property, intermediary liability, privacy, cybersecurity and more. Issues that we commonly work with both organizations on. We highly encourage i2Coalition members to apply to these positions and bring their expertise with them to the benefit of all the Internet.