Who We Are
The i2Coalition (Internet Infrastructure Coalition) ensures that those who build the infrastructure of the Internet have a voice in public policy. We are the leading voice for web hosting companies, data centers, domain registrars and registries, cloud infrastructure providers, managed services providers, and related tech. We protect innovation and the continued growth of the Internet’s infrastructure which is essential to the global economy. Our coalition launched at a significant time in our industry’s history. The genesis of the organization began in 2011 when many of the i2Coalition founding and charter members joined forces during the successful effort to prevent SOPA and PIPA from becoming United States law. After mobilizing to ensure the Internet’s free flow of information and commerce, we realized the on-going need for an industry voice, founding formally in 2012.
Our mission is to keep the Internet open as an engine for growth and innovation. We work with Internet infrastructure providers to advocate for sensible policies, design and reinforce best practices, help create industry standards, and build awareness of how the Internet works.
Our members design, build and promote Internet environments that emphasize trust, enable diverse use, and promote global access and interoperability.
Our Core Values
The following core values drive our mission and vision:
- Education: We educate lawmakers and influencers about the Internet infrastructure.
- Engagement: We engage in issues that affect the Internet’s success.
- Advocacy: We advocate for policies that support Internet growth and innovation.
- Access: We strive for open, fair, and equal access to the Internet.
- Privacy: We demand clear due process of law in the digital landscape.
Areas Of Interest
- Encryption and Cybersecurity: We embrace security technologies, like encryption, that enable modern commerce and privacy for all.
- Internet Governance: We support the international multistakeholder model of Internet governance.
- Trade: We advocate for trade policies that promote a commitment to innovation, strengthening of security technologies, and protection of intermediaries.
- Open Internet: We are committed to open Internet principles, including net neutrality, as it fosters an environment of innovation.
- Government Access To Data: We work to ensure that due process is strictly applied to any government requests to access data held by infrastructure providers.
- Intermediary Liability: We educate policymakers on the importance of preserving the liability protections of intermediary businesses.
- Cross Border Data Flows: We respect the jurisdiction of international laws that ensure the openness of the Internet while respecting the privacy of Internet users.